Thursday, September 01, 2011

LyX 2.0 on Scientific Linux

I'm giving Scientific Linux a try. While it's a nice looking distro, I'm disappointed that rkward is not available at all, and LyX is still stuck in the 1.6.x series. I'm trying to build LyX 2.0. This is my experience - for my own reference, but if it helps someone else, even better. Google did not provide directions.

yum-builddep lyx doesn't work. Even though I've got the source repos enabled, and used yumdownloader to download the source rpm, I get the message

No source RPM found for lyx-1.6.10-1.el6.x86_64

It would be nice to have (useful) documentation. I am new to the RHEL-based distros so I have no idea what I'm doing.

My initial ./configure says

** moc 4 binary not found !

** uic 4 binary not found !

** qt 4 library not found !


I'm installing qt-devel. I don't see a collection for KDE or Qt development in the package manager GUI, so that's my best guess.

A search for moc turns up automoc, "Automatic moc for Qt 4". Hopefully that's it.

The top result in a search for uic - which I've never heard of before - is basket. I'm pretty sure that's not what I need. Scrolling through the entire list does not bring up anything helpful. A Google search for "lyx uic" turns up nothing helpful. "qt uic" gives background about the "User Interface Compiler" but not anything that solves my problem. "rhel uic" indicates PyQt4 might do the trick.That's what I try. Doesn't seem like the optimal choice, but if it works, I'll take it.

"Configuration of LyX was successful." Awesome!

make - completes with no errors
make install - completes with no errors

I've got a menu item for LyX. Open it up, it's 2.0, everything works.

Summary (can probably improve on the choice of build dependencies, but I have no time or interest in digging into it further - what I've got works)
1. Install qt-devel PyQt4 automoc
2. Download the latest LyX source.
3. Unpack the source and enter the new directory.
4. ./configure
5. make
6. make install (as root)

2 comments:

Just for fun said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Just for fun said...

Hey there
I used your instructions for centOS 6.2.
I have question. After make install
is there anything more to do??

Thanks
Madi