Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Well, that was fast...

I just compiled newLISP on a quad-core machine. It took...4 seconds!

This is a case where it's actually faster to compile than to install from a repo.

Update: Thanks to the comment below, I can do it even faster:

1. Download the newLISP source:
http://newlisp.nfshost.com/downloads/
2. Extract the archive.
3. cd into newlisp-x.x.x
4. ./configure-alt
5. make -j 4
6. (As root) make install

Steps 4-6 took about 10 seconds.


[Deleted previous, now irrelevant steps]

3 comments:

Vaughan Williams said...

Can you try ./configure-alt instead of ./configure?

Lutz included it in the main distro. I designed it so you wouldn't need to alter the Makefile, it should "just work". Please let me know how it works for you!

lmf said...

Hi Ted,

Sure, I'll give it a try, but it will be this weekend or Monday.

I'll post my results here as I prefer to remain anonymous. Sorry if that's a hassle for you.

Thanks for your work with newLISP!

lmf said...

@Ted

I just tried ./configure-alt and it works. I've edited the post.