Thursday, September 01, 2011

RKWard on Scientific Linux

Update: It's probably a good idea to put the summary up front. I even confused myself when installing on another computer this weekend.

Summary:
1. Install any of the above listed build dependencies that are not on your system.
2. Download the latest rkward source.
3. Unpack the source, enter the directory.
4. mkdir build; cd build
5. cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=`kde4-config --prefix`
6. make -j 4 (or however many processors you've got)
7. make install (as root)
8. Start RKWard. Click on >> Settings >> Configure RKWard
9. Add /usr/share/kde4/apps/rkward/all.pluginmap under the section titled "Select .pluginmap file(s)"

{The last step may not be needed. You'll know if it is when you open RKWard.}


-- Actual post follows --

As with LyX 2.0, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and build RKWard myself. A Google search for "building rkward" leads me to koji.

The requirements are listed as (omitting rmplibs):
R-devel >= 2.13.1
cmake
desktop-file-utils
gettext
giflib-devel
kdelibs-devel
pcre-devel




 I'm missing giflib-devel and kdelibs-devel on my system, so I install them. I download the rkward source and unpack it.

Following the instructions on this page:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/rkward/index.php?title=Building_RKWard_From_Source
I do the following.

mkdir build; cd build
cmake ..        {I'm not specifying any options}
make -j 4
make install

It works (there's an entry for it under "Education") but not correctly. I get a message "Plugins are needed: you may manage these through "Settings->Configure RKWard"." Unfortunately no such option exists.

I look at the documentation again. I try
cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=`kde4-config --prefix`
make -j 4
make install

The plugins message still comes up, but now I've got a full menu and the ability to open files. I open >> Settings >> Configure RKWard and the menu is on Plugins. I added /usr/share/kde4/apps/rkward/all.pluginmap.

Now when I open RKWard there are no more error messages and everything works properly.








No comments: